Last month I needed a new dress for work, so I dug around in my stash and came up with this number. I used View C from Butterick 5794 - a fairly straight forward knit dress with a cowl neck, 3/4 sleeves and a slightly hi-low hemline. I used a polyester based knit from East Coast Fabrics. I like the colours, but wouldn't have been devastated if it hadn't worked out.
Seeing as though I don't have the same figure shape as the model, I did have to do a bit of modification to get it to fit me, and to move that waist seamline, but nothing too major. It was a very quick and easy garment to sew.
And here I submit proof that I actually can, and do, sew instead of just planning... :)
- Bust 46.75", Waist 42.5" and Hips 49" - size selected 24W
- Added extra width through the waist area - subsequently removed. This dress runs a little large.
- Raised waist seam (to more of an empire line) by ~ 2"
- Narrowed sleeve towards the bottom so it would stay up when I pushed the sleeves up.
- Used serger mostly, although gathering done on sewing machine, coverstitch used on hems
- Used seam tape on shoulder seams and a tiny spot of Fray Check on coverstitched hems as I've been having a little trouble lately with the hems coming undone.
- Dress was a bit big overall, but that was easily rectified.
- Neck/collar is a bit floppy for my liking.
- Remove waist seam
- Check notches on sleeves, I think they're twisting in the armhole (either I missed the notches or they weren't there. Not prepared to commit at this stage.)
- Either use lightweight knit interfacing on collar to give it some body or reshape the pattern piece.
- Raise front neckline by 1" (for work modesty).