Friday, November 30, 2012

Stash Projects #19 - 22: Summer Pyjamas

It's been a while since I've posted a proper sewn garment. I HAVE been sewing lots, but I've been finding it difficult to keep up with the photos. I took a bunch yesterday so I've got a few things to show you over the next week or so.

I've been trying to keep on track with my "50 Stash Projects" and have been fairly successful. I've been mainly sewing pretty simple garments, but they're what we need at the moment and it's still putting my stash fabric to good use.

So, when the weather turned suddenly hot here, my DD found herself without suitable sleepwear. Luckily, the stash came to the rescue...

I tried to use up all the odds and ends of fabrics, so I concentrated on making sleep shorts and paired them with RTW t-shirts. I did have visions of appliqueing wonderful designs on the tops to tie the whole ensembles together, but DD nixed that idea. So, plain tops and simple shorts it is.

I used the Ottobre "Sleep Well" pants pattern as a starting point for these shorts. I made them with a little more ease (1/2" added to each side seam), dropped the front waistband significantly (DD likes to wear her shorts under her tummy still! Toddler Style at its best!) and added a soft stretchy yoga style waistband. Obviously, I also significantly shortened the legs! LOL. I found that I had to ease the pants into the waistband a little, simply stretching it out as I sewed the two together wasn't enough.

Pattern for Shorts (Ottobre 06-2011-40):

I've made 2 pairs of shorts from this: the Yellow Polka Dot pair (#19) and the Ruffly Cupcake pair (#20). I don't have photos of those. Apparently, DD is getting reluctant to have her photo taken so I choose my battles. Simple PJ shorts isn't a battle I'm prepared to fight just yet! :-)

And, because I'm an indulgent mother, I agreed to make a set from this pretty pink/purple floral cotton which had been given to me when DD was a baby. There was just too much fabric to make just the shorts. I thought it would make a pretty blouse for DD, but she really wanted a pyjama set.

I'd already traced out the Ottobre 06-2011-39 Pyjama Top in a fit of madness, so I used that for the top and the standard shorts for the bottom.

Pattern for Top (Ottobre 06-2011-39):

All was going well with this pattern, until I attempted to put in the sleeves. They just weren't comfortable for DD to sleep in. She's normally averse to sleeveless garments, but it was the best option in this case. At first, I thought it was because DD isn't used to wearing woven garments, but I tried putting in knit sleeves, and they didn't feel any better. I think what's happened is I must have sewn the tucks a little too deep and that's added up to a narrower-than-expected front bodice. In the end, the top is working well with no sleeves, so it IS getting worn.

Here is DD in the final outcome. I had to pounce on her as soon as she got up, before she was even really aware I was taking photos. There was still some resistance, but she was too sleepy to put up much of a fuss! LOL.

Pink/Purple Pyjama Set


  1. :-) Those photos cracked me up! I so remember that tossled hair look - at least DD has a lovely smile on her face. Great job on the pj's (and the sneaky bit of photography).

  2. Cute pj's and a cute model too!