Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sunshine Top and Burda Plus Skirt

Finally, I've managed to sew something other than ill-fitting pants muslins. Unfortunately, it's not very exciting. Fortunately, it's 2 items that will get a ton of wear in my wardrobe.
First up: Hot Patterns Sunshine Top (Rendition #8 - in my defence, they're not all in my current rotation, AND 3 of them are dresses)


The only thing different about this version is I lengthened the sleeves by 2". Previous alterations included raising the neckline by about 1", a large bicep alteration and adding more to the side seams around the tummy/hip area.

This time around, I noticed that the back neckline is sitting out slightly from my neck. I think I may need to make a little alteration for that next time around (Oh, and there WILL be a next time. I LOVE this top).



Secondly: The skirt is a very basic, slightly pegged elastic waist skirt from Burda Plus E704 (Spring/Summer 2003) #430, shortened considerably. Fabric is a winter white ponte purchased some time ago from Spotlight, I think.
I originally cut a size 52, but ended up taking it in 1/2" down each side, thanks to a new eating plan! I think I'll have to look at size 50's for a while, now.

I took a 2" hem, interfaced with a 2 1/2" strip of knit interfacing, and used my coverstitch to sew it.



So, there you go, nothing exciting, but it represents a break from the dreaded pants fitting that's been bogging me down lately.

I've got a million ideas for garments to sew next, but I really need to finish up my niece's coat for her birthday present. It's just waiting for buttonholes and a bit of hand-sewing. I've got 10 days.

1 comment:

  1. I love those two pieces Kelley and they will be a fabulous addition to your wardrobe. Sit down and finish the coat so you can start a new, fun project and keep the mojo going...

    ReplyDelete