Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Project 1 of 50

First project is done. Well, it's a bit of a cheat, seeing as though I started it ages ago. But I figured UFOs are going to count as I need to get them done and out of this sewing room, too.


My niece's birthday coat

The details:
Garment: Colourful Coat for my niece's birthday present (aged 6)
Pattern: Ottobre 06-2008-17
Size: 116
Fabric: Bright corduroy purchased from Spotlight in 2011

The only alteration to pattern was the buttons. My daughter picked out these massive buttons which meant I could only fit 3 on the front, rather than the 6 that the pattern called for.

I like the shape of the hood and the body of the jacket.

It is fully interlined with cream flannel and lined with hot pink Sunsilky.

I'll pop a review up at Pattern Review when I have pictures of it on the birthday girl.


Showing the back with the hood

Showing the unusual shape of the hood - very 'pixie'

Lined with a cute little label added for her

I'm starting another one in a green and blue floral corduroy for my daughter tomorrow.


This time, though, I'm taking it to sewing lessons so that I can learn the 'right' way to sew a coat like this. For my niece's coat, I just muddled my way through. I'm happy with it, though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Edited to add a picture of my niece wearing her coat. Thankfully it fits with a bit of room to spare so she'll at least get a whole season out of it!

1 comment:

  1. Well done - who cares if you had already started it - it is off the list now! So cute!

    ReplyDelete